LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams reached the midpoint of their seasons on Saturday racing at the Louisville Cross Country Classic. The Wasps competed in the Silver Division against teams from NCAA Division II, III and NAIA.
The men's race saw 270 runners from 35 teams while the women's event had 346 competitors comprising 43 teams.
MEN'S RESULT – 26th/35
WOMEN'S RESULT – 37th/43
LOCATION – Louisville, Kentucky
VENUE – E.P. "Tom" Sawyer State Park
The Men – 8K (5.0 miles)
- Freshman Tony McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) led the Wasps with a time of 28:14, finishing 88th overall.
- Seniors Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) and Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) ran 29:30 (154th) and 29:36 (158th), respectively.
- Freshman Lucas Biggerstaff (Knoxville, Tenn.) stopped the watches at 30:01 while freshman Henry Quesenberry (Christiansburg, Va.) rounded out the Wasps' five at 32:09
- Robert Murphy, running unattached, won the race with a time of 25:21, finishing 21 seconds ahead of second place.
- Indiana University's Run Club put five runners in the top 10 to take the team title while Georgia College & State University was second.
The Women – 5K (3.1 miles)
- Sophomore Alette McGuire (Chespeake, Va.) was first for Emory & Henry with a time of 21:44 to take 158th while senior Lauren Fleming (Troutville, Va.) posted a 22:49 which was 219th.
- Junior Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) was third on the team at 22:53 (225th) while senior McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) clocked a 23:20 for 245th.
- Junior Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) rounded out the top five for E&H with a time of 27:21.
- Point Park University's Alyssa Campbell won the event with a time of 18:38 while the team championship went to Georgia College with four runners in the top 35.
- Emory & Henry will next compete at the Royals Cross Country Challenge, hosted by Queens University of Charlotte.
- The race will be on the evening of Friday, October 12.