BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams opened the 2018 season on Friday evening at the Bridgewater XC Challenge. The men's team took fourth place out of seven competing schools while the women were sixth out of eight.
MEN'S RESULT – 4th/7
WOMEN'S RESULT – 6th/8
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Bridgewater Cross Country Course
The Men – 5K (3.1 miles)
- Senior Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) led the Wasps with a time of 17:41 to finish seventh overall.
- Senior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) was 12th in 18:12
- Freshmen Henry Quesenberry (Christiansburg Va.), Tony McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) and Lucas Biggerstaff (Knoxville, Tenn.) rounded out the top five for E&H.
- Virginia Wesleyan University took the team title, putting three runners in the top 10 including the overall winner Skyler Lattuca with a time of 16:12.
The Women – 4K (2.5 miles)
- Junior Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) went 18:13 to finish ninth, leading the team, while sophomore Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) finished second in 19:15 (13th overall).
- Seniors Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) and McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) finished third and fourth for the team and in the top 50 overall.
- Rounding up the top five for E&H was junior Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.).
- Bridgewater put all five of its scoring runners in the top eight to win the meet. Eastern Mennonite University's Elizabeth Nisty took first overall with a time of 16:43.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Fayetteville, North Carolina on Saturday, September 8 to compete in the Monarch Cross Country Classic hosted by Methodist University.