EMORY, Va. – The Shenandoah University Women's Soccer Team (5-2, 1-0 ODAC) took a 1-0 lead into the half and added a pair of insurance goals en route to a 3-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Emory & Henry College (1-3-1, 0-1 ODAC) Sunday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Shenandoah 3, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-3-1, 0-1 ODAC); Shenandoah (5-2, 1-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Hornets got on the board with 8:43 to play before the break. Kristen Fisher played a ball across the box to the feet of Alison Spaziani, who struck it to the back of the net.
- Just past the hour mark (60:50), SU extended its lead to 2-0 as Taylor Morris scored on a pass from Emily Yergin.
- Emory & Henry had its best chance of the contest in the 67th minute. After earning a free kick at the top of the box, junior forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) struck a nearly perfect ball to the upper 90 of the back post, but the attempt just missed crossing the goalline.
- In the 83rd minute, Shenandoah scored again to make the final margin 3-0. Emilie Smith played a long pass for Maiya Pencile to run onto and beat the goalkeeper for the goal.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps had just seven shots in the game, but five were on target, keeping the SU goalkeeper on edge all afternoon.
- E&H sophomore net-minder Natalie Capone (Kannapolis, N.C.) had a season-best 13 saves.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Pencile led all players with seven shots on goal while Spaziani put three of her five attempts on frame.
- Anna Jacobson grabbed the victory in goal, making five saves on the afternoon.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road for its next match when it visits Salem (N.C.) College on Thursday at 4:00 p.m.