GREENVILLE, S.C. – The Bob Jones University Women's Soccer Team (4-4-2) broke a scoreless tie with 4:02 remaining in the contest to steal a 1-0 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (0-10-1) Tuesday evening.
It was the first-ever meeting between the Wasps and the Bruins, who won the NCCAA Division II National Championship in 2017.
FINAL SCORE – Bob Jones 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Greenville, South Carolina
VENUE – Alumni Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-10-1, 0-3 ODAC); Bob Jones (4-4-2)
How It Happened
- The Wasps first threatened in the 12th minute as a pair of shots were blocked by the defense. The last 15 minutes of the half saw Bob Jones go on the attack, but E&H senior goalkeeper Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) made six saves to keep the Bruins off the board.
- E&H had one of its best chances of the match with 12:16 to go when freshman forward Callie McMurray (Weber City, Va.) had a one-on-one with the keeper, but her shot went wide to the right. BJU went on an immediate counterattack, but could not put a shot on frame.
- The Bruins final broke through at the 85:58 mark as Megan Brubaker put a shot in the upper 90 at the back post over the outstretched arms of the goalkeeper.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Liseski made a season-high 13 saves, one of her career-best mark, as she played the full 90 minutes in goal.
- Senior forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) had a team-high three shots while sophomore forward Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) added two attempts.
Bob Jones Leaders
- Sarah Epperson, Abby Davis and Marissa Allebach each put up five shots as Epperson had three shots on goal.
- Angelina Martin picked up the shutout victory, making two saves.
- Emory & Henry will return to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Saturday when it visits the University of Lynchburg.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and the 20th-ranked Hornets is set for 1:00 p.m.