EMORY, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University Women's Soccer Team (4-2-1, 2-0-1 ODAC) built a 4-1 halftime lead as it defeated Emory & Henry College (0-9-1, 0-3 ODAC) by a 5-1 score Saturday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 5, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-9-1, 0-3 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (4-2-1, 2-0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Marlins got on the board just 80 seconds after the opening whistle as Anna Pedicone scored, assisted by Alex Davidson.
- Emory & Henry equalized at the 18:32 mark when freshman forward Callie McMurray (Weber City, Va.) crossed a ball in from the right side to find freshman midfielder Eva Hart (Asheville, N.C.) crashing toward the goal for the score.
- Davidson answered for VWU to make it a 2-1 contest and goals from Sarah Heinbaugh and Alexandra Fitz pushed the margin to 4-1 at the intermission.
- Virginia Wesleyan posted one last goal in the final half hour to make the score 5-1 as Ryan Applewhite assisted on Julia Downing's finish.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Hart's goal gives her two scores on the season while McMurray notched her first collegiate assist.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Kaela Schlevensky (Haymarket, Va.) made eight saves in the second half for the Wasps.
- Emory & Henry will play its next two contests on the road beginning with a trip face Bob Jones University on Tuesday, October 2.
- The match between the Wasps and Bruins is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.