EMORY, Va. – The Averett University Women's Soccer Team (2-4, 0-0 USA South) broke a 0-0 tie at the 77:39 mark to escape with a 1-0 win against Emory & Henry College (0-5-1, 0-0 ODAC) Tuesday evening.
The match, which was originally scheduled to be played on Wednesday evening, was moved ahead 24 hours due to the forecast of Hurricane Florence.
FINAL SCORE – Averett 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-5-1, 0-0 ODAC); Averett (2-4, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- After a scoreless first half, the Cougars earned a corner kick midway through the 78th minute.
- Eimear Reddin served the ball into the six-yard box and found the head of Linnea Meyer, who was able to direct it into the back of the net.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Freshman midfielder Eva Hart (Asheville, N.C.) took three shots in the contest.
- Junior forward Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.), junior midfielder Makayla Carter (Lewisburg, W.Va.) and freshman defender Caroline Copeland (Newport News, Va.) each had attempts on frame.
- Senior Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) made five saves as she played the full 90 minutes in goal.
- Reddin posted a team-high three shots to go along with her assist while Meyer's score came on her only attempt of the contest.
- Bailee Brown stopped four shots to earn the shutout.
A Deeper Look
- The two squads each put up 11 shots in the contest with AU putting six of their attempts on target compared to four for E&H.
- Both the Wasps and Cougars took two corner kicks while Averett was called offside three times and Emory & Henry was flagged twice.
- Emory & Henry is scheduled to host Salem (N.C.) College on Sunday afternoon at 3:30 p.m., but schedules may change due to the potential impact of Hurricane Florence.
- Visit GoWasps.com for the latest updates regarding postponements or cancellations of this weekend's events.