EMORY, Va. – The Brevard College Women's Soccer Team (1-0) edged Emory & Henry College (0-1) with a goal in the 82nd minute Friday evening in the 2018 season opener for both teams.
FINAL SCORE – Brevard 1, Emory & Henry 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-1, 0-0 ODAC); Brevard (1-0, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Brevard held the momentum through the opening 45 minutes but the Emory & Henry defense remained strong for a 0-0 halftime score.
- The Wasps came out of the break and took control of the midfield, earning several chances in the first 15 minutes of the second half. E&H held off a pair of scoring chances just after the hour mark to preserve the scoreless margin.
- BC finally got on the board at the with 8:22 left to play when Ashley Hughes settled a loose ball at the top of the six-yard box and slotted it past the keeper.
Emory & Henry Leaders
- Senior goalkeeper Kieran Liseski (Mooresville, N.C.) made nine saves on the night for the Wasps between the pipes.
- Senior forward Gillian Hogg (Richmond, Va.) led the E&H attack with a pair of shots while junior Graysen Barrs (Abingdon, Va.), sophomore Kelci Horner (Salem, Va.) and freshman Yasmin Thorpe (Mount Airy, Md.) each tallied shots on goal.
- Caroline David had six shots in the match, including four on target, while Megan Shina put three of her five attempts on frame.
- Rebeccah Rojas earned the complete-match shutout for the Tornados, making three saves.
A Deeper Look
- Brevard held an 18-7 shot advantage including a 10-3 mark in shots on goal.
- The teams split the two corner kicks of the match evenly while BC was called offside on three occasions.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Sunday when it hosts Milligan College.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Buffaloes is set for 1:00 p.m.