FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams competed in their second meet of the year Saturday morning at the Monarch Cross Country Classic, hosted by Methodist University.
The men finished as the meet runner-up out of nine competing teams while the women's squad took third place.
MEN'S RESULT – 2nd/9
WOMEN'S RESULT – 3rd/9
LOCATION – Fayetteville, North Carolina
VENUE – Methodist University Campus
The Men – 8K (5 miles)
- Senior Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) took eighth place overall, leading the Wasps with a 34:08 while senior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) took 13th in 35:16.
- Freshman Tony McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) clocked a 36:59 to take 18th while freshmen Henry Quesenberry (Christiansburg, Va.) and Lucas Biggerstaff (Knoxville, Tenn.) were 20th and 21st, respectively (37:24; 37:41).
- Methodist took the team title, placing all five of its scoring runners in the top 11 while Baron Freeman of St. Augustine's College won the meet with a time of 30:27.
The Women – 6K (3.7 miles)
- Junior Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) turned in a 30:14 to finish first for E&H and eighth overall while sophomore while sophomore Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) was 12th in 31:27.
- Senior Lauren Fleming (Troutville, Va.) was third for the Wasps in her cross country debut, stopping the watches in 32:25 (20th) while senior McKenna Tankersley (Big Stone Gap, Va.) was fourth in 33:08 to finish 24th.
- Senior Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) rounded out the top five, running a 36:28 which was good for 44th.
- Methodist claimed the team title with the top two runners and four in the top eight. Lindsey Pritchard ran a 26:53 to claim medalist honors.
- Emory & Henry will next compete at the Greater Louisville Classic on Saturday, September 29.