MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams raced for the third-straight weekend Saturday, competing at the Berry Invitational. The Wasps' women's team finished 14th overall while the men missed out on posting a team score due to injury.
MEN'S RESULT – No Team Score
WOMEN'S RESULT – 14th/23
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia – Berry College Cross Country Course
The Men – 8K (5.0 miles)
- Junior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) led the Wasps with a time of 27:54 to finish 35th overall.
- Senior Buck Kirtland (Richmond, Va.) was 65th in 28:57 while junior Zane Moran (Floyd, Va.) covered the course in 30:27.
- Sophomore Colt Pierce (Lockhart, Texas) rounded out the field for E&H in 34:23.
- David Poteet of Kennesaw State University took the top honor in 25:27 while Emory University put four runners in the top 20 to take the team title.
The Women – 6K (3.73 miles)
- Freshman Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) went 24:55 to finish 22nd, leading the team while sophomore Erica Grupp (Charlottesville, Va.) notched a 25:57 for 47th.
- Junior Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) turned in a time of 28:42 while sophomore Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) went 30:22.
- Junior Annie Kate Leinius (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) finished fifth in a time of 36:10.
- SCAD-Atlanta's Emily Kearney led the field by nearly 1:20 with a time of 21:40. Berry took the team championship with all five of its scoring runners cracking the top 25.
- Emory & Henry will next compete in two weeks at the 2017 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship. The meet will be hosted by Virginia Wesleyan University and is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m.