GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Cross Country Teams saw their first action in three weeks Saturday, racing at the 34th Annual Greensboro Cross Country Invitational. The men posted a third-place finish on the afternoon.
MEN'S RESULT – 3rd/6
WOMEN'S RESULT – No Team Score
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina – Hagan Stone Park
The Women – 5K (3.1 miles)
- Emory & Henry was unable to post a team score due to being without two of their top runners.
- Freshman Alette McGuire (Chesapeake, Va.) went 20:05 to lead the Wasps and finish second in the NCAA Division III race (15th overall).
- Junior Kelly Light (Blountville, Tenn.) was seventh in the Division III race in a time of 23:17 while sophomore Maddie Copenhaver (Glade Spring, Va.) was 18th in 25:24.
- Junior Annie Kate Leinius (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) turned in a time of 29:27 to round out the field.
- Rebecca Debinski of McDaniel College won the event in a time of 19:54 leading the Green Terror to the team championship.
The Men – 8K (5.0 miles)
- The E&H men were also without one of their top runners Saturday but were led by junior Austin Tolbert (Wytheville, Va.) who was second in the Division III race and 15th overall in 27:42.
- Senior Buck Kirtland (Richmond, Va.) was fourth amongst Division III competitors in 28:47 while senior Michael LoGrande (Alexandria, Va.) and sophomore Colt Pierce (Lockhart, Texas) finished 21st and 22nd, respectively, in 32:59.
- Senior Caleb Simpson (Richmond, Va.) was 30th, stopping the watches in 36:37.
- McDaniel made it a clean sweep on the day with Gavin Gibson winning the Division III race (27:01) to pace their team title.
- Emory & Henry will be back in action next Saturday at the Piedmont Invitational in Tallulah Falls, Georgia.