WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (5-13) rallied from a 2-1 deficit on its way to a 3-2 victory against Piedmont International University in non-conference action Thursday afternoon. The Wasps claimed the match by scores of 25-22, 18-25, 15-25, 25-19 and 16-14.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Piedmont International 2 (25-22, 18-25, 15-25, 25-19, 16-14)
LOCATION – Winston-Salem, North Carolina
VENUE – Williams Gymnasium in the Pope Activities Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-13, 2-5 ODAC); Piedmont International (11-7)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry took a 1-0 lead in the match with a 25-22 win in the opening frame. The Bruins bounced back, winning the second set, 25-18, and the third, 25-15, to go ahead 2-1.
- The Wasps buckled down and forced a fifth set by way of a 25-19 victory in the fourth.
- In the deciding stanza, E&H opened up a 5-1 lead but PIU rallied back to tie things up at 7-7. The Wasps pushed ahead again, going up 11-8, and found themselves on the brink of victory with a 14-12 lead. Piedmont International scored back-to-back points to tie the contest at 14-all, but Emory & Henry got the final two points to seal the set, 16-14, and take the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman right-side hitter Carley Williams (Bristol, Tenn.) put up a team-high 12 digs and added five blocks while sophomore right-side hitter Ashley Clayton (Durham, N.C.) had seven kills and three blocks.
- Freshman setters Marissa Snapp (Chuckey, Tenn.) and Abbie Dillon (Goodview, Va.) posted 22 and 12 assists, respectively as Snapp added five aces and five digs.
- Sophomore outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) went for a match-high 25 digs while sophomore defensive specialist Abbie Jennings (Marion, Va.) registered 23 digs and seven aces.
Piedmont International Individual Leaders
- Olivia Bullard put up a match-high 24 digs and completed the double-double with 18 digs while Cydne Moore had 10 kills and five blocks of her own.
- Chelsea Edwards recorded 41 assists, 19 digs and eight kills while Cameron Dubuc posted 18 digs and nine assists.
- Emory & Henry will return to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Tuesday when it visits Hollins University. First serve will be at 7:00 p.m.