EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (4-12, 2-4 ODAC) got back on the winning track on Thursday as it rallied from one set down to beat Eastern Mennonite University (8-8, 1-5 ODAC) by a 3-1 score in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Eastern Mennonite 1 (13-25, 25-17, 25-19, 26-24)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-12, 2-4 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (8-8, 1-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- EMU got out to a 6-3 lead early in the first and was able to put distance between itself and E&H, going up 11-6. A six-point scoring run late in the set made it a 13-point margin (23-10) was the Royals cruised to the 25-13 win.
- In the second, the Wasps jumped out to a 4-0 lead and traded points with the Royals to a 13-all tie. Emory & Henry scored seven of the next eight points to gain the momentum, tying the match with a 25-17 victory.
- The third fame featured 10 ties and four lead changes. E&H used a 4-1 run midway through the set to take a 13-9 lead but EMU responded to tie things up at 13 points apiece. After another pair of ties, the Wasps scored six in a row for a 22-16 advantage and took a 2-1 lead in the match with their 25-19 win.
- The fourth set was just as back and forth as the third with neither team letting up. Emory & Henry found itself down by five points early, but tie things up at 18. With the score tied at 22, EMU scored back-to-back points to sit on the cusp of forcing a fifth set, but the Wasps pushed three in a row including a pair of service aces by sophomore defensive specialist Abbie Jennings (Marion, Va.) to clinch the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) put up a team-high 13 kills and added 11 digs, four blocks and two aces for the double-double. Sophomore middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) had nine kills and seven blocks while sophomore setter Ashley Clayton (Durham, N.C.) notched six kills, six digs and eight assists.
- Freshman middle Carley Williams (Bristol, Tenn.) had seven kills and four blocks while freshman setter Marissa Snapp (Chuckey, Tenn.) went for 11 assists.
- Freshman setter Abbie Dillon (Goodview, Va.) posted 16 assists while Coolidge had a match-high 24 digs and three aces. Jennings finished the match with four aces.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Hannah Johnson led all players with 16 kills and added seven digs while Andrea Troyer had six kills and five blocks.
- Tori Wigley dished-out 22 assists and eight digs while Abbi Hawkins went for 15 assists.
- Tarynn Clark notched a team-high 21 digs.
- Emory & Henry will have nearly a week off before hosting Washington and Lee University next Tuesday in a league matchup. First serve will be at 7:00 p.m.