EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (5-14, 2-5 ODAC) needed all five sets but picked up a 3-2 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Hollins University (9-9, 1-4 ODAC) Tuesday evening.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Hollins 2 (19-25, 25-22, 20-25, 24-26, 15-12)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-14, 2-5 ODAC); Hollins (9-9, 1-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads went back and forth early in the match with E&H taking a 9-5 lead. A 14-4 run by Hollins put it ahead, 19-13, thanks to four-straight kills by Deja Hadden. The Wasps fought back but HU took the set, 25-19.
- Emory & Henry built a 13-7 advantage in the second stanza and was able to hold off a pair of four-point scoring runs by Hollins midway through. With the score tied at 20, the Wasps got five of the final seven points to even the match at one set apiece.
- The third frame saw HU go ahead early and push its advantage to 17-12. E&H closed the gap down to 20-18, but the green-and-gold powered through for a 25-20 win and a 2-1 lead in the match.
- E&H and Hollins battled through 14 ties in the fourth set alone with the largest lead coming as a three-point margin (12-9). Down 17-15, Hollins scored four in a row to take a 19-17 lead. The Wasps would not be outdone as they rallied to win, 26-24, to force the fifth and deciding set.
- With the score tied, 4-4, E&H reeled off a 4-1 run to win the race to eight and pushed the margin to 12-7 on four straight points. Hollins got within two, 14-12, but E&H sealed the match with a kill.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Seniors Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) and Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) put up 17 kills each with Morehouse adding seven digs.
- Freshman middle Keely Doyle (Lexington, Va.) notched 10 digs and three blocks while freshman outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) had six kills and eight digs.
- Senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) posted a career-high 51 assists to go along with 14 digs and seven kills.
- Freshman defensive specialist Abbie Jennings (Marion, Va.) notched 11 digs and three aces while senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) had eight digs.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Hadden led all players with 28 kills as Kenna Esquibel and Kiki Speights had 12 kills and 13 digs.
- Kiki Speights posted 11 kills while Casey Mahan notched a double-double with 50 assists and 11 digs.
- Emory & Henry will step out of conference play on Thursday when it visits Toccoa Falls College at 7:00 p.m.