HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (4-9, 1-2 ODAC) picked up its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year Wednesday evening with a 3-0 sweep of Eastern Mennonite University (3-10, 0-3 ODAC).
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Eastern Mennonite 0 (25-22, 26-24, 25-20)
LOCATION – Harrisonburg, Virginia
VENUE – Yoder Arena
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-9, 1-2 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (3-10, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The squads battled to a 10-10 tie to start the match before EMU scored three in a row. E&H went on an 8-2 run later in the set to lead 23-18 and held on for the 25-22 victory.
- The Wasps found themselves down by an 11-4 score early in the second but scored nine of the next 10 points to take a 13-12 lead. The Royals went back ahead and were on the brink of tying the match, 1-1 but a seven-point serving run by senior defensive specialist Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.) flipped the momentum and helped the Wasps to a 26-24 win.
- Eastern Mennonite got out to a 7-4 lead early in the third frame but Emory & Henry went on a 7-2 run to lead 15-12. Five straight points later in the set gave the Wasps a 20-16 lead and they closed the set on a 4-2 run to win 25-20 and take the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led all players with 10 kills while freshman outside hitter Delaini Nagy (Clover, S.C.) put up eight kills, three aces and six digs.
- Senior right-side hitter Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) and freshman middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) each had eight kills while senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished out 27 assists to go along with six kills and seven digs.
- Junior defensive specialist Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) posted a match-high 18 digs while freshman outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.) notched 10 digs.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Erin Brubaker had 10 kills while Hannah Johnson added eight kills and 11 digs.
- Carly Gingerich posted 18 assists and three aces.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday for a pair of ODAC matches.
- The Wasps will take on Virginia Wesleyan University at 11:00 a.m., and face Randolph-Macon College at 2:00 p.m.