EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (3-7, 0-1 ODAC) got back on track Friday evening with a 3-1 (24-26, 25-10, 25-12, 25-11) win over Regent University at home. The match was the second in a span where the Wasps play six of seven contests at home over a period of 12 days.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Regent 1 (24-26, 25-10, 25-12, 25-11)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-7, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory &Henry opened up a 7-2 lead in the first set, but Regent fired back to tie things at 11 apiece. The squads traded points back and forth but a four-point scoring run by the Royals late in the set gave them momentum that they used to push through a 24-all tie to take the win, 26-24.
- The Wasps swarmed out to a 12-2 advantage early in the second. After senior setter Sam McCauley's (Glade Spring, Va.) 10-point service run was ended, senior outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) helped E&H to extend the advantage to 16-3. Emory & Henry cruised to the 25-10 victory to equalize the match at one set apiece.
- The third stanza saw E&H continue to build momentum as it led 12-3 early on a nine-point serving run by freshman outside hitter Chelsie Crussell (Kingsport, Tenn.). The Wasps kept the pressure on, going on to lead the match 2-1 with a 25-12 win.
- Emory & Henry put up six of the first seven points before Regent closed the gap to 11-9. The Wasps regained momentum to finish the match on a 14-2 run, winning the fourth set by a 25-11 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Holmberg finished the match with 14 kills, six digs and two aces, hitting .333 (14-3-33), while McCauley had 36 assists, five kills, seven digs and two blocks.
- Senior right-side hitter Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) and freshman middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) each had nine kills with Payne tacking on four blocks.
- Senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) put up a match-high 12 digs and added two service aces.
Regent Individual Leaders
- Sara Kessler notched five kills and 11 digs while Bri Sine tallied four kills, 10 assists and three digs.
- Mackenzie Lambertson finished the match with 12 kills and two aces.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Sunday when it hosts a tri-match with Guilford College and Maryville (Tenn.) College.
- The Wasps and Quakers will open the day with their ODAC matchup at 1:00 p.m. GC will take on Maryville at 3:00 p.m., and Emory & Henry will square off against MC at 5:00 p.m.