EMORY, Va. – The Roanoke College Volleyball Team (7-4, 1-1 ODAC) saw a pair of its players reach double figures in kills on the way to a 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-23) win over Emory & Henry College (2-7, 0-1 ODAC) Tuesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Roanoke 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-23)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-7, 0-1 ODAC); Roanoke (7-4, 1-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The squads battled to a 10-10 tie in the opening set. Roanoke then went on a 7-3 run to lead 17-13. A pair of points by the Wasps drew the score to 18-15, and the Maroons answered with seven in a row to take the frame, 25-15.
- Emory & Henry led 3-1 in the second set but RC responded later in the set with a 9-0 run to take a 13-6 advantage. The two teams traded points before the Maroons took control and finished the stanza with four straight to lead 2-0 in the match.
- The third was neck-and-neck the whole way with no lead exceeding four points for the entire set. Down 22-18, the Wasps called a timeout and closed the gap to 22-21 with three points in a row. E&H would get within one point twice more in the set, but RC closed out the match with a 25-23 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior right-side hitter Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) had a team-high nine kills and five blocks while freshman outside hitter Delaini Nagy (Clover, S.C.) added seven kills.
- Senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) put up 23 assists and added four digs while senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) had a match-high 13 digs.
- Junior defensive specialist Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) put up eight digs and two aces while freshman middle Keely Doyle (Lexington, Va.) had five blocks.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Linsey Bailey posted a match-high 13 kills and tacked on eight digs while Sydney Daniel had 10 kills, 10 digs and four blocks.
- Olivia Newman dished-out 28 assists while Angel Ross had five kills and four aces.
A Deeper Look
- Roanoke hit .163 (35-18-104) as a team compared to E&H's attack of 27-22-94 (.053).
- The Maroons had seven aces and four blocks while the Wasps put up two aces and nine blocks.
- Emory & Henry will host Regent University on Friday evening at 6:30 p.m.