EMORY, Va. – The Southern Virginia University Volleyball Team (5-0, 0-0 CAC) took advantage of 14 service aces as it defeated Emory & Henry College (0-5, 0-0 ODAC) by a 3-0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-20) score Tuesday evening in non-conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Southern Virginia 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-20)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-5, 0-0 ODAC); Southern Virginia (5-0, 0-0 CAC)
How It Happened
- E&H and SVU went back and forth early in the first set before the Knights went on a 6-2 run to lead 18-12.Three straight points late pushed the score to 24-17 before Southern Virginia closed it out.
- The squads battled back and forth early in the second stanza to a 7-all tie. The Knights scored the next 11 points to take control and cruised to the 25-13 win.
- In the third frame, SVU opened up and 8-3 lead early but four straight by E&H midway through the set closed the gap to 14-13. Southern Virginia pushed its lead back to 21-15 and was able to hold off a rally by the Wasps to seal the victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Freshman middle Makayla Payne (Bristol, Va.) led the Wasps with seven kills and added two blocks while senior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) added six kills.
- Senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) posted 22 assists, five digs and two blocks while senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Va.) and freshman defensive specialist Abbie Jennings (Marion, Va.) had six digs each.
Southern Virginia Individual Leaders
- Allison Tiegs and Kaely Rath put up 11 and 10 kills, respectively as Tiegs hit .412 and Rath .381.
- LaRee Crockett dished out 22 assists and tacked on seven digs while Mykynli Knight had five digs and three aces.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Western North Carolina this weekend for three matches in the Brevard Invitational. The Wasps will take on the Tornados on Friday at 7:00 p.m.