VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University Volleyball Team (15-8, 7-2 ODAC) picked up a 3-0 sweep of Emory & Henry College (5-20, 2-7 ODAC) Friday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The Marlins took the match by set scores of 25-15, 25-20 and 25-19.
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 3, Emory & Henry 0 (25-15, 25-20, 25-19)
LOCATION – Virginia Beach, Virginia – The Batten Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-20, 2-7 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (15-8, 7-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- VWU got out to a 10-4 lead in the first set and used a four-point scoring run later to post a 21-11 advantage. The Marlins would win the opening frame 25-15.
- In the second, the squads went back and forth early for a 9-all tie, but a 7-2 spurt by Virginia Wesleyan made the score 18-12. Emory & Henry reeled off four points in a row to close the gap to 22-19 but three of the next four went the Marlins' way as they took a 2-0 lead in the match, 25-20.
- Virginia Wesleyan got up 4-1 in the third and pressed its advantage to 22-14. The Wasps notched the next five markers to get within three but ran out of gas as the Marlins scored three in a row to seal the victory with a 25-19 set win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) and senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) both had 10 kills to co-lead the team while Singleton added 15 digs and two aces to post a double-double.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) tacked on six kills while junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) had 24 assists and 12 digs for a double-double of her own.
- Junior defensive specialist Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.) posted nine digs while sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) chipped in eight digs.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Doneisha Hall and Elizabeth Britton each had 10 kills while Kristina Scott added six kills.
- Emilee Pierson had a double-double with 16 assists and 13 digs while Meghan Wood notched 17 assists and three aces.
- Alyssa Taylor led the way with 16 digs while Maddie Starr posted 10 digs.
- Emory & Henry will remain in ODAC action Saturday at noon when it faces off against Randolph-Macon College.