EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (3-9, 1-2 ODAC) needed five sets but earned its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year Sunday afternoon, topping Shenandoah University (4-7, 0-3 ODAC) by a 3-2 (25-21, 11-25, 25-22, 19-25, 15-12) margin.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Shenandoah 2 (25-21, 11-25, 25-22, 19-25, 15-12)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS - Emory & Henry (3-9, 1-2 ODAC); Shenandoah (3-9, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to a 1-0 lead in the match thanks to scoring runs of five and six points early in the set.
- Shenandoah broke out for a 9-2 advantage early in the second and used a six-point run for an 18-10 lead. The Hornets scored seven of the final eight points to tie the contest 1-1.
- The Wasps won the third set while SU took the fourth to force the fifth and deciding set.
- The fifth set went back and forth early to a 7-all tie. Three straight points by the Wasps made the score 10-7. Up 11-10, E&H scored four of the last six points to take the set 15-12 and the match, 3-2.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior right-side hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) led all players with 18 kills and added nine digs.
- Junior middle Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) added 14 kills on a .306 hitting percentage to go along with five digs and two blocks while senior outside hitter Ali Singleton (Mount Jackson, Va.) had 14 kills and 14 digs for the double-double.
- Junior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) dished out 48 assists and added 11 digs for a double-double of her own and sophomore libero Lauren Coolidge (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) had 20 digs and five aces.
- Sophomore outside hitter Sam Maddox (Amherst, Va.) also posted five aces for the Wasps.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Torie Gettier and Caylin Harris each had 15 kills while Kaitlyn Kelley added 13 kills, 10 digs and four aces.
- Michelle DiVito posted 10 kills while Nicole Shannon led all players with 37 digs.
- Emily Veach and Megan Hillyard split the setting duties with 30 and 25 assists, respectively.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Wednesday for an ODAC match against Hollins University.
- First serve is set for 7:00 p.m.