LEXINGTON, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Swimming Team completed the first half of its season over the weekend, finishing fourth at the Washington and Lee Invitational. The two-day, six-team event saw the Wasps compete in each of the 18 NCAA Division III-sanctioned swimming events.
TEAM PLACE – 4th/6
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – W&L Natatorium
- The Wasps got the meet off to a start with a sixth-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Freshman Anne-Louise Tunstall (Mount Airy, N.C.), junior Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.), freshman Cat Sweigart (Bridgewater, Va.) and junior Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) clocked a 1:45.86 in the event.
- Sweigart posted a time of 5:56.81 in the 500-yard freestyle to finish 11th while Tunstall was 11th in the 200-yard individual medley (2:19.93).
- Anson got her individual events started with a swim of :24.82 in the 50-yard freestyle, finishing sixth. She won the 200-yard freestyle in 1:55.40, just .95 seconds off the E&H record and was fourth in the 100-yard freestyle (:54.06.).
- In the 400-yard medley relay, the Wasps swam a 4:18.86 to take sixth and were seventh in the 200-yard medley relay (2:01.14).
- Tunstall finished eighth in the 100-yard butterfly, stopping the watches in 1:03.37 while Sweigart and Scarbrough were fifth (1:09.50) and seventh (1:11.99) in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- In the 100-yard backstroke, junior Taylor Simmons (Fincastle, Va.) was ninth with a time of 1:12.75.
- Sweigart was fourth in the 200-yard breaststroke at 2:35.83 while Scarbrough swam a 2:41.26 to finish seventh.
- The 400-yard freestyle relay saw the Wasps take seventh in 3:56.53.
- Emory & Henry will return to action on Friday, January 11 in a double dual meet against King (Tenn.) University and Mars Hill University. The meet is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m., on the campus of Virginia High School.