SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's & Women's Swimming Teams saw their first official competition of the 2017-18 season this weekend, racing at the 17th Annual Sewanee Invitational on Friday and Saturday. The women finished third out of seven competing teams, while the men's squad was fifth out of seven in its first-ever meet.
MEN'S FINAL RESULT – 5th/7
WOMEN'S FINAL RESULT – 3rd/7
LOCATION – Sewanee, Tennessee – Robert Dobbs Fowler Athletic Center Pool
- Friday evening's only NCAA-sanctioned event was the 1,650-yard freestyle and saw Wasp freshman Sarah Helfert (Hickory, N.C.) take fourth in 19:18.04.
- E&H posted a fourth-place finish in the 100-yard medley relay (:57.49) while senior Mackenzie Lingle (Roanoke, Va.) was fifth in the 50-yard backstroke (:30.34).
- Sophomore Olivia Anson (Apex, N.C.) and senior Bri Chessock (Winston-Salem, N.C.) took fourth and fifth in the 100-yard individual medley with times of 1:05.44 and 1:05.52, respectively.
- Lingle was fourth in the 50-butterfly at :28.46 while the Wasps posted a fourth-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle relay (:51.96).
- Saturday kicked off with the 200-yard medley relay and saw E&H take fourth in 2:07.43. Sophomore Savannah Scarbrough (Crozet, Va.) was fourth in the 400-yard individual medley at 5:06.11 while Anson was fourth in the 50-freestyle (:25.97).
- Lingle turned in a third-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke (1:04.89) while Chessock was third in the 100-breast (1:12.50).
- Senior Holly Roth (Albuquerque, N.M.) touched the wall fourth in the 200-yard freestyle (2:05.59) while freshman Brittany Archer (Laredo, Texas) was fifth in the 200-yard butterfly (2:49.44).
- Lingle added a fifth-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle, stopping the watches in :56.68, while Chessock was third in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:39.50).
- Lingle went third in the 100-yard butterfly (1:04.24) with Anson placing fifth (1:05.44).
- In the 200-yard individual medley, Roth led E&H with a time of 2:28.98 to take fourth.
- Emory & Henry closed out the meet with a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:45.36).
- Sophomore Wilson Naff (Marion, Va.) put up a time of :27.12 in the 50-yard backstroke Friday night, the Wasps' first-ever swim.
- Naff was fourth in both the 100-yard backstroke (:57.45) and the 200-backstroke (2:05.37), while finishing eighth in the 200-yard individual medley (2:12.06).
- Freshman George Jones (Bogotá, COLOMBIA) posted finishes of 17th in the 50-backstroke and 20th in the 50-freestyle.
- Emmanuel College took the women's title, while host Sewanee was second. The Wasps' 566 points put them 30.5 points clear of fourth-place Milligan College.
- Emmanuel and Sewanee also went 1-2 on the men's side, while Milligan rounded out the top three.
- Emory & Henry will step into the dual meet portion of its season on Friday, November 10 when it hosts Bridgewater College at 6:00 p.m.
- The meet will see both the E&H men's and women's teams in action as BC is also in its first year of sponsoring men's swimming.