LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (20-3, 13-3 ODAC) achieved its fifth 20-win season in program history with a 71-49 victory at Randolph College (4-19, 2-14) Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 71, Randolph 49
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Randolph Athletics & Dance Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (20-3, 13-3 ODAC); Randolph (4-19, 2-14 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H began the game with at 10-4 lead, but a 15-6 run by Randolph gave the WildCats a 19-16 advantage after the opening period.
- Randolph extended its lead to five (21-16) with the first basket of the second quarter but the Wasps fought back to tie the contest at 23. The WildCats would take a 27-23 lead into the intermission.
- The Wasps caught fire to start the third frame, scoring the first 18 points over the course of four minutes to take a 41-27 advantage. Emory & Henry continued to put on the pressure, leading 52-31 with 10 minutes to play.
- The two teams traded baskets during the fourth quarter en route to the 71-49 final score as E&H was able to give its bench an opportunity to play significant minutes for a fourth game in a row.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players for a second game in a row with 21 points, going 10-for-12 from the field, and added four rebounds.
- Junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had nine points, four rebounds, three steals and two assists while junior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.)notched nine points, seven rebounds and four steals.
- Junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) contributed eight points, five rebounds and two steals.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Mikayla Sink paced the WildCats with 17 points, six rebounds and three assists while Kayln Banks added 10 point and five rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 44.6 percent (25-for-56) from the field, and hit seven three-pointers. The Wasps scorched the nets from the free throw line, hitting 14-of-16 (87.5%) of their attempts.
- Randolph shot 19-of-47 (40.4%) for the game and hit 66.7 percent (8-of-12) of its free throws.
- E&H held a 35-24 rebounding advantage including a 10-3 margin on the offensive glass.
- The Wasps led 38-11 on points off turnovers, and outscored the WildCats, 32-20, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry's bench bested its Randolph counterpart, 27-7.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for an ODAC matchup against Hollins University.
- The contest, which will also serve as the Wasps' annual Play4Kay Game, will begin at 7:00 p.m.