EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (19-3, 12-3 ODAC) inched ever closer to its second straight 20-win season with a convincing 67-51 win over Roanoke College (15-8, 8-8 ODAC) Wednesday evening at home.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 67, Roanoke 51
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (19-3, 12-3 ODAC); Roanoke (15-8, 8-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H nearly held Roanoke scoreless through the first quarter as it opened up a 17-0 lead. The Maroons finally got on the board with 13 seconds remaining for a 17-3 score.
- The Wasps pushed their lead out to 22 points (27-5) early in the second thanks to a 10-0 run which covered 2:16. RC would get within 15 points as the period progressed, but Emory & Henry finished the half on a 9-0 run for a 40-16 lead at the break.
- E&H scored seven of the first nine points of the third quarter to get its largest lead of the game, 47-18, with 7:09 on the clock. The Wasps were then able to go to their bench and give their starters rest after their third game in five days.
- Emory & Henry would keep at least a 20-point lead through the end of the third and until the 3:35 mark of the final period. The Maroons scored seven of the final 11 points of the game, including the final bucket, as they Wasps coasted to the 16-point win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) posted a game-high 19 points on 7-for-9 shooting and added six rebounds while senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) had eight points, two rebounds and two steals.
- Senior guards Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) and Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) put up seven points each while junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) added six points, five rebounds, four steals and a block.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Ayanna Scarbrough led the Maroons with 12 points while Whitney Hopson contributed eight points, five rebounds and five assists.
- Mariah Carter had six points and five boards off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 27 its 52 field goal attempts (51.9%) and shot 61.1 percent (11-for-18) at the line.
- Roanoke only managed to go 34.7 percent (17-of-49) from the field and also struggled in its free throw shooting (13-for-22; 59.1%).
- The two squads each pulled down 32 rebounds but RC took advantage of 12 offensive rebounds as it led, 14-7, on second-chance points.
- E&H held a 48-20 lead on points in the paint and outscored the Maroons, 26-7, on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry visit Randolph College on Saturday for a 2:00 p.m., matchup with the WildCats.
- E&H won the first meeting between the two schools, 71-59, on Saturday, January 5.