EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (18-3, 11-3 ODAC) opened up a 48-27 halftime lead on the way to a decisive 87-52 win over Averett University (16-8, 12-3 USA South) Sunday afternoon.
With her layup at the 8:29 mark of the third quarter, senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) became Emory & Henry's all-time leader in field goals made, breaking Head Coach Anne Crutchfield's record. She finished the game with a career total of 535 made baskets.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 87, Averett 52
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-3, 11-3 ODAC); Averett (16-8, 12-3 USA South)
How It Happened
- E&H scored the first 10 points of the game and ran its advantage to 19-4 with 2:54 left in the first. The Cougars began to settle in as they closed the gap to 25-14 at the end of the quarter.
- Averett trimmed the margin to nine (30-21) at the 6:28 mark of the second, and awakened the Emory & Henry offense which went on a 14-1 run over the next 3:07 to lead 44-22. The Wasps would lead, 48-27 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, E&H pushed its lead to 58-31 and would go up by as many as 29 in the third.
- The Wasps got their first 30-point lead at the 7:17 mark of the fourth quarter and led, 87-47, on their way to the 87-52 drubbing. For a second game in a row, Emory & Henry was afforded the opportunity to rest its starters and get some of its younger players significant minutes.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Blevins finished the afternoon with 13 points, six rebounds, three assists, two steals and a block while junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) scored 15 points on 7-for-8 shooting.
- Freshman center Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) posted 14 points off the bench while senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had nine points.
- Senior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) and junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) each notched seven points while Williams pulled down seven rebounds.
Averett Individual Leaders
- Brooke Carthon led the Cougars' offense with 14 points while Rayvn Johnson had seven points and six rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 52.2 percent (36-for-69) for the game including a 20-for-35 (57.1%) performance in the first half. The Wasps also hit 12-of-17 (70.6%) of their free throws.
- Averett went just 19-of-61 (31.1%) from the field and also struggled at the free throw line. The Cougars made just 42.9 percent (9-of-21) of their chances at the stripe.
- E&H posted a 47-38 rebounding advantage and used 18 offensive rebounds to lead 14-7 on second-chance points.
- The Wasps were nothing short of dominant down low, outscoring the Cougars, 60-24, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry also scored 28 points off 20 Averett turnovers and held a 25-10 advantage on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday at 5:00 p.m., when it hosts Roanoke College.
- The game will be the first in a doubleheader with the E&H men's team, who will face Randolph College at 7:30 p.m.