EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (17-3, 11-3 ODAC) saw 13 of its 16 players put their names in the scoring column as the Wasps defeated Eastern Mennonite University (9-12, 6-8 ODAC) by an 81-53 score Saturday at home.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 81, Eastern Mennonite 53
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-3, 11-3 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (9-12, 6-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to an 11-5 lead at the 7:09 mark of the opening period and pushed the margin to 24-14 after 10 minutes of play.
- The Royals closed the gap to five (31-26) but seven in a row by the Wasps made it a 38-26 lead. Emory & Henry took a 46-31 advantage into the locker room.
- Returning to action, the Wasps went on a 14-3 run over the first six minutes of the third quarter to extend the margin to 60-34.
- Eastern Mennonite would get no closer than 20 the rest of the way as Emory & Henry was able to rest its starters and get the entire team some valuable playing time against a conference opponent.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with 14 points and pulled down four rebounds while senior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) had 10 points and six rebounds off the bench.
- Junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up nine points, seven rebounds and three assists while freshman guard Callie Haderer (Bristol, Va.) notched eight points.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Lindsey Krisak and Jess Washington posted 10 points each for the Royals as Washington grabbed four rebounds.
- Constance Komara had seven points and five boards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 26-of-64 of its shots (40.6%) and connected on six three-pointers. The Wasps were red hot at the free throw line, converting 88.5 percent (23-of-26) of their uncontested shots.
- Eastern Mennonite hit 35.1 percent (20-of-57) of its attempts from the floor with four triples. The Royals went 9-for-14 (64.3%) at the stripe.
- E&H dominated the boards, 53-25, with 20 offensive rebounds which translated into a 22-8 lead on second-chance points. The Wasps also led, 36-30, on points in the paint.
- The Wasps and Royals both made 15 turnovers on the afternoon, but it was Emory & Henry which took advantage of its ensuing possessions, 20-7.
- Emory & Henry will have a quick turnaround before its next game as it hosts Averett University on Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
- The contest was originally scheduled to be played on Tuesday, December 11 but was postponed due to Winter Storm Diego.