LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (16-3, 10-3 ODAC) earned a 61-59 buzzer-beater overtime victory over the University of Lynchburg (11-10, 9-5 ODAC) thanks to a clutch jumper by senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 61, Lynchburg 59 (OT)
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Wayne Proffitt Court at John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (16-3, 10-3 ODAC); Lynchburg (11-10, 9-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Lynchburg got out to an 8-2 lead at the 6:49 mark of the first period but E&H closed the tap to 11-10 with an 8-1 run. The Hornets would lead, 15-12 at the end of the frame.
- In the second, Lynchburg pushed its lead out to seven (21-14) with 8:52 to go before the half. The Wasps closed the gap to two (25-23) with 50 seconds on the clock but the Hornets scored four in a row to go into the locker room with a 29-23 lead.
- The squads traded baskets through the third quarter with Lynchburg extending the lead to eight (43-35) with 10 minutes left in regulation.
- Down by 10, Emory & Henry went on a 12-2 run to tie the contest at 49-49 with 2:56 for the first time since the score was 2-2 with 9:21 left in the first. The Wasps took their first lead of the contest, 53-51, with 57 seconds to play but the Hornets immediately knotted the game at 53 and forced overtime.
- In the extra period, E&H scored the first four points to go up 57-53. Lynchburg scored six of the next eight points to tie the score at 59-all with 10 seconds remaining. The Wasps clinched the win on Logan's buzzer-beater jumper from the top of the key.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) posted a double-double with a game-high 18 points and 10 rebounds, adding three steals and two assists.
- Junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had 15 points, six rebounds and three assists while senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) had eight points.
- Logan finished the game with six points while senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) put up seven points off the bench.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Molly Shephard led the Hornets with 15 points and nine rebounds while Lizzie Davis went for 14 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals.
- Erin Green nearly put up a triple-double with 13 points, 10 rebounds and eight blocks.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made just 34.4 percent (22-of-64) of its field goals but made 14-of-22 (63.6%) of its free throws.
- Lynchburg shot 21-of-54 (38.9%) for the game and converted just 53.8 percent (14-of-26) at the charity stripe.
- The Hornets held a 50-36 rebounding advantage, including 15-11 margin on the offensive glass, which translated to a 7-0 lead.
- Lynchburg posted a 34-32 lead on points in the paint, but E&H made the most of 29 Hornet turnovers for 19 points.
- Emory & Henry will return home Saturday afternoon to take on Eastern Mennonite University at 2:00 p.m.