VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (15-3, 9-3 ODAC) solidified its fifth-straight 15-win season Saturday afternoon with an 82-70 win over Virginia Wesleyan University (10-10, 7-6 ODAC) Saturday on the road. The victory set a new standard of success for the Wasps, who broke the previous record for consecutive 15-win seasons (1999-03).
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 82, Virginia Wesleyan 70
LOCATION – Virginia Beach, Virginia
VENUE – The Batten Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-3, 9-3 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (10-10, 7-6 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Virginia Wesleyan jumped out to a 12-4 lead at the 6:40 mark of the opening period and pushed the margin to 19-9. E&H responded with six in a row to close the quarter for a 19-15 score.
- The Wasps continued their run out to 15-2, taking a 24-21 lead with 6:10 to play before halftime. The two teams traded baskets for the remainder of the second with VWU leading, 37-35, at the break.
- Down by three with five minutes to go in the third, Emory & Henry went on a 17-5 run to take a 60-51 lead into the final 10 minutes of action.
- The Marlins cut the margin to six (63-57) early in the fourth, but the Wasps responded with a 12-2 run to make it 75-59 with 4:32 to play. E&H would go on to lead by as many as 18 points down the stretch before VWU closed the game with a pair of three-pointers for the 82-70 final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) posted a career-high 23 points, going 7-for-10 from the field with six three-pointers. She added four assists, three steals and two rebounds.
- Junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) notched 15 points, six rebounds and five assists while senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) posted her second double-double of the week with 12 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) had 10 points, five steals and two assists off the bench.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Jayla Harris led all players with 30 points and added three rebounds and three assists.
- Amanda Gerni made five three-pointers on the afternoon for 15 points and pulled down five rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 54.9 percent (28-of-51) for the game with 11 three-pointers. The Wasps hit 15-of-20 (75%) of their free throws.
- Virginia Wesleyan went 24-for-56 (42.9%) from the field with 10 makes from long range. The Marlins were a white-hot 85.7 percent (12-for-14) at the stripe.
- VWU held a 29-28 rebounding advantage and a 9-4 margin on the offensive glass which resulted in nine second-chance points.
- E&H posted a 28-10 lead on points in the paint and led 41-12 on bench scoring.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road Wednesday when it visits the University of Lynchburg for a 7:00 p.m. contest.