ASHLAND, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (13-3, 7-3 ODAC) saw three players reach double figures in scoring on its way to a 66-59 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Randolph-Macon College (12-6, 7-4 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The victory avenged a 65-62 loss at the hands of the Yellow Jackets in December.
Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) moved into third all-time on the Emory & Henry scoring list in her 100th game played with 15 points on the day, passing Wasp mentor Anne Crutchfield. Blevins now has 1,266 points to her credit.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 66, Randolph-Macon 59
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (13-3, 7-3 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (12-6, 7-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry took an early lead, but R-MC kept things close, using a 5-0 run to go ahead, 14-13, with 3:46 left to play in the first. The Wasps responded to retake the lead for good, 20-18, after 10 minutes of action.
- In the second period, E&H went on a 12-4 run to push the margin to 32-22 with 5:49 to go before the half. Emory & Henry would lead, 42-33, at the intermission.
- Returning to the court, the Wasps scored nine of the first 11 points to extend their margin to 51-35 at the 7:03 mark. Randolph-Macon used an 8-1 run to end the quarter to close the gap to 57-50.
- The Yellow Jackets got within two (57-55) early in the fourth quarter but the Wasps responded with a 7-2 run to keep control. E&H held on for the 66-59 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Blevins' team-high 15 points came on 6-for-7 shooting and she completed the double-double with 11 rebounds, three steals, two assists and two blocks.
- Senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had 14 points, two rebounds, two assists and two steals while junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up 12 points, six rebounds and four assists.
- Junior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) led the E&H bench with nine points and six rebounds.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Michal Ross led all players with 22 points and added eight rebound and six steals.
- Jayla Wade had 11 points and four rebounds while Charlotte Woods contributed nine points, 15 rebounds, four steals and three blocks.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 49.0 percent (25-for-51) for the game including a 59.3 percent clip in the first half. The Wasps made 12-of-17 (70.6%) of their free throw attempts.
- Randolph-Macon was cold from the field, hitting just 23-of-71 (32.4%) of its shots and only 9.1 percent (1-of-11) from long range.
- E&H held a 43-37 rebounding advantage but R-MC pulled down 17 offensive boards. The Wasps however led the Yellow Jackets, 12-5 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry made the most of 19 Randolph-Macon turnovers, scoring 23 points on their ensuing possessions.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for a league showdown against Washington and Lee University at 7:00 p.m.