EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (11-2, 5-2 ODAC) made it four wins in the last eight days as it defeated Randolph College (3-10, 1-5 ODAC) by a 71-59 score Saturday afternoon at home. It was just the third home game of the season for E&H, which played its first seven on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 71, Randolph 59
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-2, 5-2 ODAC); Randolph (3-10, 1-5 ODAC)
RELATED - PHOTO GALLERY
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 20-7 lead through the first 7:45 of play. The Wasps and WildCats traded baskets until the end of the first period for a 28-16 E&H lead.
- Down by 33-20 margin with 5:50 to go before the half, Randolph used a 10-4 run to closed the gap to seven (37-30) before Emory & Henry closed the half on a pair of free throws by junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) for a 39-30 margin.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps pushed their lead to 53-34 thanks to a 14-4 run covering 6:29. Randolph answered with a scoring spurt of its own to close the gap to 55-42 with 10 minutes of action remaining.
- The WildCats continued their run to get within eight, 55-47, with 8:40 to play, but the bounced back to stretch the lead to 15 (64-49). RC would get no closer than 10 points the rest of the way as E&H brought home the 71-59 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- McKinney led the Wasps with a double-double, scoring 12 points and pulling down 11 rebounds, while adding two assists, a steal and a block.
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) had 13 points and seven rebounds while senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) added eight points off the bench.
- Senior guards Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) and Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) each tacked on seven points and three rebounds with Johnston dishing out three assists.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Mikayla Sink led all players with 19 points while Kayln Banks scored 15 points and grabbed nine boards.
- Dominique Jackson had 13 points, four rebounds and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 26-for-70 (37.1%) from the field with six three-pointers. The Wasps were extremely efficient at the free throw line, making 86.7 percent (13-of-15) of their attempts.
- Randolph hit just 32.8 percent (19-of-58) of its shots but found success from long range at 42.9 percent (6-of-14). The WildCats hit 15 free throws (71.4%).
- E&H continued its success in rebounding, leading by a 48-35 margin, including a 22-13 clip on the offensive glass. The Wasps also held an 18-8 advantage on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led, 38-20, on points in the paint and 12-2 on points off turnovers.
- The Wasps' bench also outscored its WildCat counterpart, 31-5.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Guilford College on Wednesday for a 5:00 p.m., matchup with the Quakers.