BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (10-2, 4-2 ODAC) started 2019 in the same fashion it ended 2018, earning a 77-52 victory over Bridgewater College (8-4, 3-3 ODAC) Wednesday evening.
The Wasps outscored the Eagles by a 47-22 margin in the second and third quarters on their way to the victory. Eleven different players scored for E&H as all 16 who suited up saw at least four minutes of action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 77, Bridgewater 52
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Nininger Hall
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-2, 4-2 ODAC); Bridgewater (8-4, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams went back and forth for the opening quarter for a 16-16 tie.
- Emory & Henry's offense woke up in the second period as it outscored Bridgewater 23-11. The Wasps started things off with a 12-5 run with all 12 points coming from senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.). E&H would lead 39-27 at the break.
- Returning to action, the Wasps kept their momentum going as they pushed the margin to 63-38 after three quarters. An 11-2 Emory & Henry run helped in extending the margin.
- The fourth gave E&H the ability to go to its bench and utilize its depth as the Wasps retained their 25-point lead for the final 77-52 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Blevins led all players with 23 points and pulled down seven rebounds. The reigning ODAC Player of the Week went 8-for-11 from the field and made all seven of her free throw attempts.
- Junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had 10 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and two assists while senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) put up 10 points.
- Senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) notched seven points, five assists, two rebounds and two steals while senior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) and freshman guard Callie Haderer (Bristol, Va.) added six points each off the bench.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Briana Moore placed the Eagles with 13 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals while Sydni Carey added nine points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Rebecca Harvey and Allie Coburn posted seven points each with Coburn chipping in five boards and three blocks.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 47.4 percent (27-of-57) of its field goal attempts with five three-pointers. The Wasps made 18 free throws in the win.
- Bridgewater only managed a 20-for-59 (33.9%) performance from the floor and was 47.4 percent (9-for-19) at the stripe.
- E&H posted a 54-27 rebounding advantage including 20 offensive boards. The Wasps led, 34-16, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry took advantage of 24 Bridgewater errors for a 24-17 lead on points off turnovers and also led 33-14 in bench points.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Saturday to host Randolph College in ODAC action.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and WildCats is set for 2:00 p.m.