LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (9-2, 3-2 ODAC) shot 41.8 percent (28-for-67) for the game as it led wire-to-wire in a 76-56 win over No. 16 Christopher Newport University (9-2, 0-0 CAC) Sunday in the final day of the Lynchburg Holiday Tournament.
It was the Wasps' second win of the season over a ranked team including a 58-56 victory over then-No. 16 Marymount University on Friday, November 9.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 76, No. 16 Christopher Newport 56
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Wayne Proffitt Court at the John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-2, 3-2 ODAC); Christopher Newport (9-2, 0-0 CAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to an 11-4 advantage at the 7:19 mark of the first quarter and scored five in a row to make it 16-7. The Wasps would lead 18-12 through 10 minutes of action.
- E&H pushed the margin to 28-14 early in the second but CNU responded with the next 11 points to close the gap to 28-25 with 3:52 to go before the break. The Wasps took a 35-28 lead into the locker room.
- Returning to action, Emory & Henry scored the first 10 points of the third quarter and ran its lead to 32-52 on a three-pointer by junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.).
- With a 15-point advantage entering the fourth quarter, the Wasps were able to slow the pace of the game and take time off the clock. Christopher Newport would get no closer than 11 points as Emory & Henry went on a final run to finish with the 20-point victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) tied her career-high with 22 points to lead all scorers while McKinney had a double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) put up 12 points and seven rebounds as senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) contributed nine points, six rebounds and six assists.
- Junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) went for eight points, 13 rebounds and four steals while junior forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) recorded 11 rebounds and five steals off the bench.
Christopher Newport Individual Leaders
- Sondra Fan paced the Captains with 11 points while Natalie Terwilliger posted 10 points and six boards.
- Kiana Kirkland added 10 points, four steals and two assists while Jessica Foster had nine points and three rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made seven field goals in each of the four periods with its best shooting quarter coming in the fourth (7-for-11; 63.6%). The Wasps hit seven three-pointers and were 13-of-18 (72.2%) from the free throw line.
- Christopher Newport shot just 30.6 percent (19-of-62) for the afternoon with seven triples (22.6%). The Captains made the most of their trips to the free throw line, converting 11-of-12 (91.7%) of their attempts.
- E&H dominated the post all afternoon, holding a 56-28 rebounding advantage. The Wasps used 24 offensive boards to lea 23-10 on second-chance points. Emory & Henry also outscored CNU, 42-20, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will return to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Wednesday when it visits Bridgewater College. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.
Sondra Fan, Christopher Newport
Kiana Kirkland, Christopher Newport
Taylor Blevins, Emory & Henry
Tessa Johnston, Emory & Henry
Sydney McKinney, Emory & Henry
Lizzie Davis, Lynchburg
Molly Shephard, Lynchburg
Kimberly Schuh, Meredith