EMORY, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Women's Basketball Team (9-1, 5-0 ODAC) remained undefeated in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play with a 65-62 win over No. 18 Emory & Henry College (7-2, 3-2 ODAC) Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 65, No. 18 Emory & Henry 62
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-2, 3-2 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (9-1, 5-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 10-2 lead at the 5:19 mark of the opening period but R-MC closed the gap to 16-12 through 10 minutes of action.
- The Yellow Jackets went on a 9-1 run through the first 5:45 of the second quarter to take a 21-17 advantage but the Wasps counterpunched to tie the contest, 24-24, at the break.
- Returning to action, E&H scored the first six points of the half to go up 30-24 with 5:34 on the clock. The Wasps would carry that lead until a three-pointer by the Yellow Jackets closed the gap to 41-38 with one quarter to play.
- In the fourth, the two squads went back and forth early with Randolph-Macon taking a five-point lead with 4:43 left in the contest. The Yellow Jackets pressed the margin to 59-53 two minutes later, but the Wasps remained in the fight, getting to within two (61-59) on a three-point play by junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) with 19 second to go.
- Down by four, a three-pointer by senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) drew the score to 63-62. R-MC made both of its free throws giving E&H one last look at a chance for overtime. The shot at the buzzer was no good, and the Yellow Jackets escaped with the 65-62 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Williams finished the game with 14 points and six rebounds while senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) notced 11 points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) and freshman center Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) had eight points each while Logan contributed five assists and five steals.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Kelly Williams posted a double-double with 18 points and 19 rebounds while Michal Ross added 15 points and eight boards off the bench.
- Charlotte Woods nearly had a double-double with 12 points and nine rebounds while Elise Knobloch tallied 10 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 23-of-52 (44.2%) of its field goals and hit a trio of three-pointers. The Wasps were 81.3 percent (13-of-16) at the free throw line.
- Randolph-Macon shot just 34.4 percent (22-of-64) for the game but made up for it with 18 points scored (66.7%) at the stripe.
- The Yellow Jackets held a 49-26 rebounding advantage and used 26 offensive boards to lead 22-7 on second-chance points.
- Both squads scored 36 points in the paint but E&H held leads of 14-8 on points off turnovers and 12-3 on fast-break points.
- No. 18 Emory & Henry will play its third straight home game on Tuesday evening when it hosts Averett University.
- Tipoff is at 7:00 p.m.