EMORY, Va. – The No. 18 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (7-1, 3-1 ODAC)opened up a 32-9 lead after the first quarter as it rolled to a 59-point 87-28 victory over Ferrum College (3-5, 1-3 ODAC) Tuesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
It was the first home game of the year for the Wasps, who started the season off with seven contests on the road. All 16 players who suited up for E&H played at least six minutes and 15 put their mark in the scoring column. The 59-point margin of victory was the most by an Emory & Henry team since a 103-43 win over Shenandoah University on Saturday, December 3.
FINAL SCORE – No. 18 Emory & Henry 87, Ferrum 28
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-1, 3-1 ODAC); Ferrum (3-5, 1-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry stormed out to a 15-0 lead at the 5:40 mark of the first period. The Panthers closed the gap to 24-9 before the Wasps closed the quarter on an 8-0 run for a 32-9 advantage.
- E&H reached a 30-point advantage for the first time with 5:59 to go before the half, 39-9, thanks to a 7-0 run. The Wasps took a 48-15 lead into the intermission.
- An 11-2 run by Emory & Henry to start the third extended the lead to 42 (59-17) as it continued to pull away.
- Up by a 71-23 score with one period to play, the Wasps were able to get their bench completely involved in the final 10 minutes. E&H would lead by as many as 61 points on its way to the 87-28 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with 13 points and pulled down eight rebounds while senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had 10 points.
- Freshman center Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) notched nine points, nine rebounds and four blocks while junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) and senior guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) added eight points each.
- Sophomore guard Elizabeth Jones (Wytheville, Va.) notched seven points and six rebounds off the bench.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Jasmine Barr led the Panthers with nine points and five rebounds while Maggie Self put up five points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 44.9 percent (31-of-69) from the field with seven three-pointers. The Wasps also made 18-of-24 (75%) of their free throws.
- Ferrum went just 11-for-47 (23.4%) for the game and 5-for-7 (71.4%) at the line.
- E&H held a 50-29 rebounding advantage and used 20 offensive rebounds to score 18 second-chance points.
- The Wasps forced 30 Panther turnovers, scoring 34 points on the ensuing possession and 22 on the fast break. E&H also led, 48-12, on points in the paint.
- No. 18 Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Randolph-Macon College in a key league matchup.
- Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.