ROANOKE, Va. – The No. 15 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (6-0, 2-0 ODAC) opened up a 24-6 lead after the first quarter and never looked back as it defeated Hollins University (2-4, 0-2 ODAC) by a 70-26 score Wednesday evening. The win marked the second time this season that the Wasps have posted a 40-point margin of victory.
Fourteen of the 16 players who suited up for E&H scored with no player seeing more than 17 and no less than eight minutes of action.
FINAL SCORE – No. 15 Emory & Henry 70, Hollins 26
LOCATION – Roanoke, Virginia
VENUE – C.H. Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-0, 2-0 ODAC); Hollins (2-4, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- With the score tied 4-4 with 8:31 in the first, Emory & Henry went on a 20-2 run to blow the game open, 24-6.
- A 14-0 run that took up 6:13 of the second period pushed the margin to 41-10 as the Wasps rolled to a 41-11 lead at the intermission.
- Coming out of the half, E&H started the third with 18 of the first 22 points to press its advantage to 59-15. Junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) scored nine in a row for the Wasps to start the run.
- Up by a 59-18 margin with 10 minutes to play, Emory & Henry was able to give its younger players some valuable in-game minutes as it cruised to the 44-point (70-26) victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with 12 points, going 5-for-5 from the field with a pair of three-pointers. She also registered four steals, three rebounds, an assist and a block.
- McKinney posted 10 points, four rebounds, three blocks two assists and a steal while senior guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) scored eight points off the bench.
- Sophomore guard Elizabeth Jones (Wytheville, Va.) had six points and seven rebounds while seniors Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) and Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) added five points each.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Kayla Surles put up 10 points to pace HU while Sally Sroge scored nine points.
- Keyazia Taylor notched nine rebounds, six blocks and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 24-of-56 (42.9%) from the floor with eight three-pointers. The Wasps also made 73.7 percent (14-of-19) of their free throws.
- Hollins shot just 20.9 percent (9-for-43) on the night and were 5-of-10 (50%) at the stripe. HU did not score more than eight points in any one quarter of play.
- E&H held a 44-26 rebounding advantage and led 19-3 on second-chance points. Emory & Henry outscored Hollins, 32-4, on points in the paint.
- The Wasps also led Hollins, 26-6, on points off turnovers, making the most of 27 miscues by the green-and-gold.
- Emory & Henry will conclude its seven-game road trip to open the season on Saturday when it travels to Washington and Lee University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Generals is set for 2:00 p.m.