ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 23 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (4-0, 0-0 ODAC) earned a convincing 94-46 win over the University of Valley Forge (1-2, 0-0 ACAA) in the final day of the Randolph-Macon Classic Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – No. 23 Emory & Henry 94, Valley Forge 46
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-0, 0-0 ODAC); Valley Forge (1-2, 0-0 ACAA)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry raced out to a 31-6 lead at the end of the first period. After going down 2-0, the Wasps scored the next 19 points and had a 9-0 run later in the period to set the tone of the afternoon.
- In the second, E&H kept the pressure on to extend the halftime advantage to 54-18.
- Returning to action, the Wasps outscored the Patriots by a 21-7 margin in the third, leading by as many as 52 points (75-23) after a three-pointer by sophomore guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.).
- The fourth quarter saw UVF close the margin to within 50 as the Patriots' final basket made the score 94-46.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Fifteen different players scored for E&H, led by senior guard Jada Penn's (Radford, Va.) 14 points and three assists while senior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) had 11 points, four assists and three rebounds.
- Senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) notched nine points and three assists while junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) and freshman forward Alexis Hoppers (Sparta, N.C.) had eight points apiece.
Valley Forge Individual Leaders
- Jhanel Brown put up a game-high 16 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks for the double-double while Alea Flowers had 10 points off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 54.9 percent (39-for-71) for the game with nine three-pointers compared to just 35.3 percent (18-for-51) for Valley Forge.
- The Wasps scored 38 points off 29 Patriot turnovers and held a 56-24 lead on points in the paint and a 28-4 margin on fast-break points.
- E&H's bench played a large role in the victory, accounting for 65 of their 94 (69.1%) of its points.
- Emory & Henry will have a full week off for the Thanksgiving holiday before opening Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Sunday, November 25 at Shenandoah University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Hornets is set for 2:00 p.m.