UPDATE: Following the conclusion of the game, Randolph-Macon College officials discovered a scoring discrepancy with the scorebook and the official statistics. A basket was incorrectly credited to Arcadia. Upon consultation with ODAC and NCAA officials, the score of the game has been updated to reflect an 80-68 victory by Emory & Henry.
ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 23 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (3-0, 0-0 ODAC) picked up an 80-68 win over Arcadia University (1-2, 0-0 MAC Commonwealth) on day one of the Randolph-Macon Classic Friday.
FINAL SCORE – No. 23 Emory & Henry 80, Arcadia 68
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-0, 0-0 ODAC); Arcadia (1-2, 0-0 MAC Commonwealth)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to a 22-all tie at the end of the first quarter. Arcadia outscored E&H by a 17-15 margin in the second to take a 39-37 advantage into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps offense put up 24 points in the third quarter to hold a 61-57 lead with 10 minutes left to play.
- In the fourth period, Emory & Henry held off any Arcadia hopes at a comeback, outscoring the Knights, 16-14, to post the six-point victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with 21 points while junior forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) added 18 points.
- Senior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had 11 points while junior guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) and senior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) added eight and seven points, respectively.
Arcadia Individual Leaders
- Caitlin Jensen scored 19 points while Sydney Cry had 15 points.
- Taylor Dunn added 12 points.
- Emory & Henry will take on the University of Valley Forge on Saturday at 2:00 p.m., in the final day of the Randolph-Macon Classic.