SALEM, Va. – The #1 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (22-5) advanced to the Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament championship game with a 64-60 win over fifth-seeded Washington and Lee University (17-10) Saturday afternoon.
The victory keeps the Wasps winning streak rolling at 11 and ties the school record for wins in a season at 22 which was first achieved in the 2001-02 season. The Wasps reach the ODAC title game for the sixth time in program history and for the first time since 2001.
FINAL SCORE – #1 Emory & Henry 64, #5 Washington and Lee 60
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – Salem Civic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (22-5, 13-3 ODAC); Washington and Lee (17-10, 9-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- In a game that featured four ties and 14 lead changes, the two squads traded baskets back and forth through the first quarter as neither team led by more than six points. Down by two, the Generals finished the period on a 10-5 run for a 17-14 advantage.
- Emory & Henry opened the second with eight-straight points to go up 22-17 but Washington and Lee got within one, 32-31, at the half.
- The second half opened much like the first with the two teams jostling to take control. With the score tied at 40 with 5:41 to play, the Wasps went on a 14-5 run to lead 54-45 and carried a 54-47 margin into the final 10 minutes of play.
- W&L closed the gap to 55-54 with a 7-1 run to open the fourth period. Each time, however, the Wasps would answer the Generals with a basket to hold onto the lead. After Washington and Lee cut it to one for a final time, 61-60 with 2:35 to go, Emory & Henry made three of their final four free throws and forced three turnovers to claim the 64-60 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) scored 14 points on 5-of-8 shooting, adding two rebounds, two steals and one assist.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) notched 10 points and four boards while sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) put up eight points, three rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had seven points, six boards and three steals as 10 different players put their name in the scoring column.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Emily Perszyk led all players with 21 points while Katie Popp contributed 12 points and seven rebounds.
- Emma Redding tallied 10 points, seven rebounds, three blocks and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 37.3 percent (22-for-59) for the game with five three-pointers. The Wasps made 15-of-21 (71.4%) of their free throws.
- Washington and Lee went 20-for-44 (45.5%) from the floor and made 77.3 percent (17-of-22) of its foul shots.
- The Generals held a 38-27 rebounding advantage, but the Wasps made the better of their second opportunities, outscoring W&L, 9-4.
- Emory & Henry held a 23-8 advantage on points off turnovers, taking full advantage of 19 Washington and Lee miscues.
- Emory & Henry will take on #2 Randolph-Macon College on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. with the ODAC Championship on the line.
- Fans can listen live on WEHC 90.7 FM in Southwest Virginia and across the globe at www.wehcfm.com.
- The game will also be streamed live on www.odaconline.com.