SALEM, Va. – The #1 Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (21-5) advanced to the semifinals of the 2018 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament with a 79-53 win over ninth-seeded Shenandoah University (12-15) Thursday afternoon.
The win was the 10th in a row for the Wasps, marking its longest streak since reeling off 14 straight between January 15 and February 16 of 2002. E&H reaches the semifinals of the ODAC Tournament for the fourth year in a row, its longest stretch since seven-straight semifinal appearances between 1983 and 1989.
FINAL SCORE – #1 Emory & Henry 79, #9 Shenandoah 53
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – Salem Civic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (21-5, 13-3 ODAC); Shenandoah (12-15, 7-9 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Down 5-3 at the 8:08 mark of the first period, Emory & Henry went on a 16-0 run to lead 19-5. The squads would trade baskets through the end of the frame with the Wasps leading, 25-13 after 10 minutes of play.
- After a SU three-pointer to start the second, E&H scored the next 11 points to push its advantage to 36-16 with 4:41 on the clock. The Hornets were able to trim the margin down to 12 (41-29) at the break.
- Returning to action, Emory & Henry ran their lead to as much as 27 points in the third period (63-36) thanks to an 11-2 run which spanned 4:42.
- The Wasps led by at least 20 points for the entire fourth quarter, pressing the advantage to as much as 28 (79-51) in the final minute as it coasted to the 79-53 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- All 11 players who suited up for E&H put their names in the scoring column, led by junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) with 12 points and seven rebounds.
- Junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) had 12 points and six boards off the bench while sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) had 12 points, three boards, four assists and two steals.
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.)contributed a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds while junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) put up 10 points.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Kirstyn Arcata led all players with 18 points while Jordan Sondrol notched 16 points, six rebounds and four assists.
- Ashley Stone chipped in 15 points for SU.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 32-for-64 (50%) for the game with five three-pointers. The Wasps hit 62.5 percent (10-of-16) of their free throw attempts.
- Shenandoah managed just a 32.1 percent (17-for-53) shooting percentage with a quintet of triples. The Hornets were a nearly-perfect 14-of-15 (93.3%) at the charity stripe.
- E&H held a 47-25 rebounding advantage, and an 18-7 lead on the offensive glass which translated into a 19-5 margin on second-chance points.
- The Wasps continued their season-long dominance down low, outscoring the Hornets, 40-12, in the paint. Emory & Henry also led 20-8 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry advances to take on the winner of the #5 Washington and Lee University/#4 Guilford College contest.
- Tipoff for that semifinal game is set for Saturday at 1:00 p.m.