LEXINGTON, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (19-5, 12-3 ODAC) put itself in position to earn the #1 seed in next week's Old Dominion Athletic Conference Tournament Wednesday evening with a 66-52 win over Washington and Lee University (14-9, 8-7 ODAC). The Wasps win their eighth-straight game for their longest streak since putting together nine wins in a row in the 2002-03 season.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 66, Washington and Lee 52
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – Warner Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (19-5, 12-3 ODAC); Washington and Lee (14-9, 8-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- W&L jumped out to an 18-9 lead at the 2:12 mark of the first period and would be ahead, 22-15, after 10 minutes of play.
- The Wasps cut into the margin in the second quarter, trailing 32-30 at the half. Emory & Henry tied things up at 24-all thanks to a 9-2 run to start the second, but Washington and Lee responded to go up by as much as eight before another run by the Wasps to end the half.
- E&H scored the first 11 points of the third frame and never looked back, going up by 13 (47-34) on a 6-0 run late in the quarter. The Wasps led 48-40 with one period to go.
- Emory & Henry fought off a run by the Generals early in the fourth that trimmed the margin to four (51-47). The Wasps then went on a 15-3 run covering 5:15 before W&L scored the final basket of the contest for the 66-52 score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led all players with a double-double, scoring 19 points and pulling down 10 rebounds. She accomplished the feat on the efforts of 7-for-10 shooting from the field and a 5-for-7 performance at the line.
- Sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had 13 points and four rebounds while sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) added nine points, five rebounds, seven assists and four steals.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) and junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) had six points each with Blackburn grabbing nine boards.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Katie Popp had 10 points and nine rebounds while Emily Perszyk chipped in 10 points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Taylor Casey added eight points while Andy Smithey had seven points and seven boards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 23-for-54 (42.6%) from the field and shot 60.7 percent (17-for-28) at the free throw line.
- Washington and Lee hit just 25.9 percent (15-of-58) of their shots with seven makes from beyond the arc. The Generals went 15-for-20 (75%) from the charity stripe.
- E&H held a 44-36 rebounding advantage and a 29-16 margin on second-chance points.
- The Wasps also led, 38-10, on points in the paint and 19-16 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will return home Saturday to host Lynchburg College in a battle for the top seed in the ODAC Tournament.
- Tipoff is set for 2:00 p.m.