EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (15-5, 8-3 ODAC) shot 67.2 percent for the game as it rolled over Roanoke College (7-13, 4-7 ODAC) by a 98-64 score Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. All 12 players scored for the Wasps, who also tied a program record on the night by earning their fourth-straight 15-win season.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 98, Roanoke 64
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-5, 8-3 ODAC); Roanoke (7-13, 4-7 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry, which never trailed in the game, got out to a 14-7 lead at the 6:39 mark of the opening period. The Wasps used a 9-0 run late in the frame to extend the margin to 32-15.
- E&H kept the momentum early in the second quarter, pushing their advantage to 26 (47-21) with a 15-3 run which covered over six and a half minutes. The Wasps would lead, 53-29, going into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry got its first taste of a 30-point lead at the 4:46 mark of the third quarter as it posted a 69-36 advantage. The Wasps took a 75-45 margin into the final 10 minutes of action.
- E&H continued to pull away in the fourth stanza with its largest lead coming at 95-59 with 2:25 on the clock. The Wasps were able to get their entire bench significant playing time in the second half while also allowing their starters some valuable rest during the grueling ODAC season.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) put up 16 points on 7-for-8 shooting, to go along with four rebounds, five assists and two steals in just 15 minutes.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) had 15 points, hitting three three-pointers, while junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) put up 10 points, six rebounds and three assists off the bench.
- Junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) had 10 points, two assists and two steals while sophomore guard Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) chipped in nine points and five assists.
- Freshman forward Lexy Vance (Honaker, Va.) added eight points while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Tenn.) contributed seven points and two assists.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Victoria Maxwell led the Maroons with 13 points and six rebounds while Allison Livengood had 12 points and two boards off the bench.
- Molly Hassell tacked on 10 points and Madeline Shur added eight points, three rebounds, two blocks and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry's red-hot shooting (67.2%) was furthered by 11 three-pointers as it went 61.1 percent from long range. The Wasps also hit 9-of-11 (81.8%) of their free throw attempts.
- Roanoke made just 24-of-62 (38.7%) of their field goals with four triples. The Maroons were effective at the stripe, converting at a 70.6 percent (12-for-17) clip.
- E&H was dominant in the post, 50-34, and in transition, 12-0, leading the way 26-20 on points off turnovers.
- The Wasps assisted on 30 of 39 made baskets, an assist rate of 76.9 percent.
- Roanoke led 17-11 on second-chance points despite being out-rebounded by a 31-29 margin by Emory & Henry.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face league-leading Randolph-Macon College on Saturday at 4:30 p.m.