EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (12-5, 5-3 ODAC) opened up an early lead and never looked back as it defeated Shenandoah University (7-10, 3-5 ODAC) by a 67-46 score Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
E&H also celebrated Alumni Day Saturday, honoring members of the 1987-88 ODAC Championship Team with a luncheon and a special halftime presentation.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 67, Shenandoah 46
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (12-5, 5-3 ODAC); Shenandoah (7-10, 3-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps got out to a 16-8 lead at the end of the first quarter thanks in part to eight straight points in a span of less than two minutes.
- Emory & Henry pushed its advantage to 27-13 with a 9-0 run early in the second period. The Hornets closed the gap down to seven points, 30-23, at the half.
- Coming out of the locker room, E&H scored the first seven for a 14-point lead, 37-23, with 6:59 on the clock. The Wasps extended the margin to 19 (49-30) with 10 minutes to play.
- Shenandoah scored the first six points of the fourth quarter to get within 13 but would get no closer as Emory & Henry cruised to the 67-46 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) came off the bench to lead the Wasps with 13 points and two rebounds while sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had nine points, eight rebounds, three steals and a block.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) notched eight points and 11 rebounds while sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) chipped in eight points, seven boards and three steals.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) dropped nine points as well for E&H.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Jordan Sondrol hit five three-pointers on her way to a game-high 22 points, adding five rebounds.
- Kirstyn Arcata had seven points while Ashley Stone tacked on five points and four rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 38.8 percent (26-for-67) from the floor, connecting on five three-pointers. The Wasps made 10-of-17 (58.8%) of their free throws.
- Shenandoah went 17-for-47 (36.2%) for the game with six triples. The Hornets only reached the free throw line 10 times during the game, shooting 60 percent.
- E&H posted a 39-36 rebounding advantage with a 16-9 margin on the offensive glass. The Wasps held a 17-7 lead on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry took full advantage of 23 Shenandoah turnovers, scoring 26 points while the Hornets managed just three points on 10 Wasp miscues.
- E&H also dominated down low, outscoring SU by a 36-16 in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday when it hosts Washington and Lee University in an ODAC contest at 7:00 p.m.