VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – The Virginia Wesleyan University (4-9, 1-3 ODAC) overcame a 11-point third-quarter deficit to earn a 74-70 win over Emory & Henry College (9-4, 2-2 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
FINAL SCORE – Virginia Wesleyan 74, Emory & Henry 70
LOCATION – Virginia Beach, Virginia
VENUE – Jane P. Batten Student Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-4, 2-2 ODAC); Virginia Wesleyan (4-9, 1-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Wasps jumped out to a 10-4 lead early in the opening period but a 19-2 run by the Marlins made it a 23-12 contest with 1:25 to go. VWU would lead 23-16 after 10 minutes of play.
- With Virginia Wesleyan up by a 29-19 margin with 9:31 in the second quarter, Emory & Henry went on a 22-3 run for a 41-32 halftime advantage. Junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) scored the final eight points of the half for E&H.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps pushed their margin to 11 (48-37) with 8:09 in the third but the Marlins began their march back into the contest. A 15-4 run to close the period gave Virginia Wesleyan a 60-59 lead, its first advantage since the 5:24 mark of the second frame.
- The two squads traded baskets early in the fourth but seven straight for VWU made the score 72-64 with 2:52 remaining. The Wasps had chances to cut the margin to two in the final 15 seconds of the game, but the Marlins sealed the deal with a pair of free throws for the 74-70 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) led the Wasps with 18 points, hitting four three-pointers, and added four rebounds and three steals.
- Sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) put up 15 points, four boards and three steals while Harris had 13 points and four rebounds.
- Junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) notched 10 points, four assists and five steals as junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) had five points, 10 rebounds, two steals and two assists.
Virginia Wesleyan Individual Leaders
- Jayla Harris posted a game-high 23 points with three assists and two rebounds while Amanda Gerni put 13 points off the bench.
- Naeemah Morris and Reagan Holmes pitched in 10 points each while Jada Lewis put up seven points and seven rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 45 percent (27-for-60) from the field, making 10 three-pointers. The Wasps went cold from the free throw line, hitting just 6-of-17 (35.3%) of their attempts.
- Virginia Wesleyan hit 21-of-51 (41.2%) of its shots including a 52 percent (13-for-25) performance from long range. The Marlins also scored 19 points at the charity stripe (63.3%).
- E&H posted a 38-34 rebounding advantage and led 13-9 on second-chance points. The Wasps also outscored the Marlins 24-14 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for an ODAC rivalry matchup against Guilford College at 7:00 p.m.