EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (9-3, 2-1 ODAC) got the New Year off to a blazing start with a one-sided victory over Hollins University (3-8, 0-3 ODAC), 81-34, Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The 47-point margin of victory was the biggest for E&H since defeating Shenandoah University by 60 (103-43) on December 3, 2015.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 81, Hollins 34
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-3, 2-1 ODAC); Hollins (3-8, 0-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled for the first minute and a half of the first period before Emory & Henry caught fire with a 17-0 run to lead 20-5 at the end of 10 minutes of play.
- The Wasps pushed their margin to 23 (30-7) early in the second quarter and would lead by as much as 43-15 before taking a 45-19 advantage into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry kept the pressure on, extending its lead to 59-23 with 1:38 left in the third frame thanks to a 12-0 run.
- Up by 32 with one quarter to go, the Wasps continued to pull away, nearly reaching a 50-point margin for the 81-34 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- All 12 players who suited up for the Wasps found their way into the scoring column led by junior Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.). The forward was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field for 16 points and added nine rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Junior guard Myesha Logan (Roanoke, Va.) had 10 points, four assists and three steals while junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) put up 10 points and four boards off the bench.
- Junior guard Jada Penn (Radford, Va.) contributed nine points and five rebounds while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) added eight points and three steals.
- Freshman guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.) dished out nine assists to go along with four rebounds, and three steals.
Hollins Individual Leaders
- Chesslyn Owens led the way for Hollins with 12 points and four rebounds while Tayler Broyles pitched in seven points, two rebounds and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 45.9 percent (34-for-74) of its field goals, connecting on seven three-pointers.
- Hollins went 14-of-45 (31.1%) from the field with four shots from long range.
- Emory & Henry led 43-29 on rebounding and outscored HU, 10-16, on second-chance points.
- The Wasps dominated the turnover battle, forcing Hollins into 31 errors which translated into 42 points. E&H also led 22-0 on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry will hit the road on Saturday for an ODAC contest at Virginia Wesleyan University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Marlins will be at 2:00 p.m.