GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (6-2, 1-1 ODAC) opened up a 24-4 lead in the first period and never looked back as it steamrolled Greensboro College (6-1, 3-0 USA South) by an 83-48 score Friday afternoon. Each of the 12 Wasps to see action in the game put their names in the scoring column.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 83, Greensboro 48
LOCATION – Greensboro, North Carolina
VENUE – Hanes Gym
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-2, 1-1 ODAC); Greensboro (6-1, 3-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to an 8-0 lead at the 6:55 mark of the first quarter and pushed the margin to 22-2 thanks to a 14-0 run. The Wasps would lead by a 24-4 score after 10 minutes of play.
- E&H extended the advantage to 31 (37-6) with a 13-2 scoring run to start the second period. Up 41-11 with 3:09 to go before the break, the Wasps finished the half on a 7-2 run for a 48-13 halftime advantage.
- The second half was balanced as both teams added 35 points to their tallies for the 83-48 final score. Emory & Henry's largest lead came at the 9:12 mark of the fourth period as a layup by freshman forward Lexy Vance (Honaker, Va.) made the score 68-28.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) put up a game-high 16 points, hitting six-of-10 shots including four three-pointers. Junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) had 10 points and led all players with six rebounds.
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) and sophomore forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) added 10 points each while junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) had seven points, five rebounds and four assists.
- Sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had nine points, four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
Greensboro Individual Leaders
- Kamerin Williams led the Pride with eight points and added five rebounds while A'Liyah Woods had seven points and five boards.
- Katie Lewis and Kylee Barry put up seven points apiece while Sabria Joseph notched six points, five rebounds and three steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 31-for-61 (50.8%) for the game, hitting 11 three-pointers and going 66.7% (10-for-15) from the three-point line.
- Greensboro only managed a 29.2 (19-for-65) shooting percentage with just three treys, but went 7-for-8 (87.5%) at the charity stripe.
- The Wasps held a 38-37 lead on the boards and a 34-24 advantage on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry scored 23 points off 23 GC turnovers while committing 20 miscues of its own.
- Emory & Henry will have a quick turnaround with its next game coming on Saturday afternoon at home.
- The Wasps will host the Eagles of the University of Mary Washington at 2:00 p.m., at the John Rutledge King Center.