ATLANTA, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (1-0) got the 2017-18 season off to a start with a convincing 67-49 win over Belhaven University (0-2) Friday night at the Emory Tip Off Tournament. The Wasps led wire to wire and saw three players reach double figures in scoring in the victory.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 67, Belhaven 49
LOCATION – Atlanta, Georgia
VENUE – George W. Woodruff Physical Education Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-0, 0-0 ODAC); Belhaven (0-2, 0-0 ASC)
How It Happened
- The two teams went back and forth for the first 3:20 of the game to a 6-6 tie, but Emory & Henry went on a 10-4 run to take a 16-10 advantage. Belhaven scored the final bucket of the period to make the score 16-12.
- The Wasps scored the first 10 points of the second quarter to push the margin to 26-12, but the Blazers closed the gap to 27-21 with a 9-1 run covering 1:53. E&H got four of the last seven points of the half to take a 31-24 advantage into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry opened the third on an 11-3 run including six points from junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.). An 8-0 run to close the period pushed the Wasps' margin to 20 (50-30) for the first time in the contest.
- Emory & Henry cruised to the 18-point victory, matching Belhaven basket for basket. The Blazers never got closer than 17 points the entire period as the Wasps were able to rest their starters and allow some newcomers to see valuable playing time early in the season.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) led all players with 12 points, hitting a pair of threes, and added nine rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Junior guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) hit a trio of three-point baskets as she went for 11 points, two boards and three assists while Blevins added 10 points, two rebounds, two steals and a block.
- Sophomore forwards Sydney McKinney (Big Stone Gap, Va.) and Kara Stafford (Bristol, Tenn.) tacked on eight points apiece as McKinney pulled down nine rebounds and Stafford added five boards and four steals.
Belhaven Individual Leaders
- AaLiyaha Thornton put up 11 points to pace the Blazers while Lauren Brooks tacked on 10 points and four rebounds.
- Brittany Ford posted nine points and seven rebounds while Kelsey Brown notched eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 45 percent (27-of-60) for the game, hitting five threes, but struggled at the line, connecting on just 8-of-19 (42.1%) of their free throws.
- Belhaven was cold from the field at 25.7 percent (19-of-74) with a 7-for-36 (19.4%) effort from long range.
- The two squads tied on the battle for the boards, 47-47, with BU pulling down 19 offensive rebounds. The Blazers outscored the Wasps 20-14 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led 41-14 on points in the paint and 10-3 on fast-break points.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Saturday afternoon when it faces off against NCAA Division III South Region powerhouse University of Texas-Dallas in the final day of the Emory Tip Off Tournament.
- The contest between the Wasps and Comets will begin at 4:00 p.m.