FERRUM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team (8-3) outscored Ferrum College (5-6) by a 27-8 margin in the third quarter to earn a 63-56 come-from-behind victory Friday evening in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 63, Ferrum 56
LOCATION – Ferrum, Virginia – Swartz Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-3, 2-0 ODAC); Ferrum (5-6, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- The Panthers got out to a 10-4 lead at the 6:17 mark of the first period. Up by a 14-9 margin with 3:21 on the clock, Ferrum went on a 10-2 run over the next 2:26 for a 24-11 advantage.
- FC opened the second quarter on a 7-1 run for its largest lead of the game, 31-15, with 3:44 to go before the half. Emory & Henry closed with eight-straight points by sophomore guard Tessa Johnston (High Point, N.C.) to make it a 31-23 game at the intermission.
- Coming out of the locker room, the Panthers got the first bucket of the second half but Emory & Henry scored the next 27 points, to take a 50-34 lead with 1:19 in the third. The Wasps hit nine of their 13 shots in the quarter (69.2%) and blistered the net from behind the arc with six three-pointers in the period alone. E&H would take a 50-39 advantage into the final 10 minutes of play.
- In the fourth, Ferrum would get within two points (56-54) thanks to a 13-4 run which covered 6:03. The Panthers were forced to foul as time got short and Wasp senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) went nine-for-10 from the line in the final 1:28 to seal the 63-56 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Johnston led the way for Emory & Henry with a career-high 22 points which was thanks in part to a personal-best five three-pointers made.
- Jacoby had 17 points, eight assists and eight steals and went 10-for-12 from the free throw line including nine-of-10 in the final 88 seconds.
- Sophomore forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) put up eight points and nine rebounds while freshman forward Kara Stafford (Bristol, Va.) tacked on seven points and seven boards.
Ferrum Individual Leaders
- Zarkia Mattox led the Panthers in all categories with 22 points, eight rebounds, five assists, and four steals.
- Kelli Mounce put up 10 points, two assists and three steals while Maggie Self contributed eight points and three boards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 38.3 percent (18-for-47) from the field but its strong performance from long range in the third quarter was key in the comeback. The Wasps also hit 18-of-25 (72.0%) of their free throws in the contest.
- Ferrum went 20-for-46 (43.5%) on the evening but only hit 11-16 (68.8%) of its free throw attempts.
- E&H led the battle for turnovers 22-18 and edged FC, 24-21, in scoring on the ensuing possessions.
- The Panthers outrebounded the Wasps, 32-30, but Emory & Henry had 12 offensive boards compared to 11 for Ferrum.
- E&H continued to move the ball effectively, assisting on 13 of 18 field goals, a 72 percent assist rate.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Wednesday when it steps back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play against Roanoke College. Tipoff between the Wasps and Maroons is set for 7:00 p.m.