JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Women's Basketball Team had its first test of the 2016-17 season Sunday afternoon, taking on East Tennessee State University in an exhibition contest. The Bucs claimed an 84-39 victory in the game, using a 43-11 scoring run through the second and third quarters.
FINAL SCORE – East Tennessee State 84, Emory & Henry 39
LOCATION – Johnson City, Tennessee – Brooks Gymnasium, Memorial Hall
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (0-0, 0-0 ODAC); East Tennessee State (0-0, 0-0 SoCon)
How It Happened
- East Tennessee State jumped out to an 11-2 lead midway through the first period but back-to-back threes by freshman guard Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) closed the gap to 11-8 just 2:26 later. Junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Tenn.) hit a buzzer-beating three pointer to make the score 16-11 after one.
- In the second quarter, ETSU opened the game up, outscoring E&H by a 20-7 margin, for a 36-18 advantage at the intermission.
- The Bucs kept the pressure on in the third period, extending their advantage to 37 (59-22) and shooting 52.9 percent (9-for-17) from the field.
- The fourth frame displayed Emory & Henry's best offensive performance, shooting 6-for-13 (46.2 percent) and adding a perfect four-for-four from the free throw line. The Wasps bared their determination, posting 9-2 run over 2:13 midway through the period.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Megan Jacoby (Richmond, Va.) led the way with 12 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals.
- Williams had eight points off the bench, hitting a pair of three-pointers, while sophomore guard Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) tacked on six points and five boards
East Tennessee State Individual Leaders
- The Buccaneers were paced by Shamauria Bridges with 17 points on seven-for-15 shooting.
- Tianna Tarter and Kayla Marosites added 11 points each while Marosites pulled down six rebounds, and put up three assists and four steals.
- Anajae Stephney had 10 points and three boards while Raven Dean tacked on nine points, eight rebounds and two assists.
A Deeper Look
- ETSU shot 54.8 percent (34-for-62) for the game, scoring 42 points in the paint compared to a 14-for-46 (30.4%) shooting performance by E&H with 14 points in the paint.
- The Bucs held a 39-31 rebounding advantage and led 13-4 on second-chance points.
- East Tennessee State managed 36 points off of 31 E&H turnovers while the Wasps scored 11 points off of 16 Bucs' miscues.
- Sunday's contest was the first meeting between the Wasps and Bucs since the 1976-77 season and the first time the programs have faced off in exhibition.
- Emory & Henry plays a NCAA Division I exhibition contest for the second straight year and the third time in four seasons. The Wasps faced off against Radford University at the beginning of the 2013-14 and 2015-16 seasons.
- It was also the first time that East Tennessee State has faced off against a NCAA Division III program in an exhibition contest.
- Emory & Henry will officially open the 2016-17 season on Tuesday, November 15 at home against Averett University.
- The contest will be the second game of a doubleheader with the Wasps' men's team. Tipoff is scheduled for 8:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Caleb Johnston, E&H '15