ATLANTA, Ga. – The Emory University Softball Team (7-3) earned a pair of victories over Emory & Henry College (7-8) Wednesday afternoon. The Eagles took the doubleheader by scores of 7-4 and 2-1.
GAME ONE – Emory 7, Emory & Henry 4
GAME TWO – Emory 2, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Atlanta, Georgia
VENUE – Cooper Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-8, 0-0 ODAC); Emory (7-3, 0-0 UAA)
Game One – Emory 7, Emory & Henry 4
- The Eagles jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the first. A two-run single by Meghan Murphy highlighted the frame.
- Emory & Henry answered with a run in the second on a double by sophomore first baseman Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.).
- In the bottom of the fourth, Emory added three more runs to make the score 7-1 on a bases-clearing triple by Murphy.
- E&H scored on a solo home run by Varner in the fifth and saw sophomore Mia Altizer (Abingdon, Va.) drive in a run with a single to highlight the sixth, but would get no closer than 7-4.
- Toko Miller picked up the victory for Emory, allowing four runs on 11 hits with five strikeouts while Wasp sophomore Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) permitted seven runs on six hits and six walks in the loss.
Game Two – Emory 2, Emory & Henry 1
- The Wasps broke open a scoreless game in the top of the fourth as freshman left fielder Anna Thomas (Climax, N.C.) scored from second base after a base hit by senior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) and an error.
- Emory went ahead, 2-1, in the bottom of the sixth on a single by Greta Wilker and a sacrifice fly by Mattie Ryan.
- Madison Schaefer earned the win for the Eagles, allowing just one unearned run on four hits with five strikeouts.
- E&H sophomore Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) took the loss, allowing two unearned runs on four hits with four strikeouts.
- Emory & Henry will close out its Spring Break trip with a single game against the University of Rochester (N.Y.) on Friday at noon.
- The Wasps defeated the Yellowjackets in their meetings on Monday and Tuesday.