EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (5-6) played its first two home games of the season on Saturday, hosting Averett University (9-4) in a non-conference doubleheader. The Cougars took game one by an 8-7 score while the Wasps prevailed in the final game of the day, 4-1.
GAME ONE – Averett 8, Emory & Henry 7
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 4, Averett 1
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-6, 0-0 ODAC); Averett (9-4, 0-0 USA South)
Game One – Averett 8, Emory & Henry 7
- The Cougars pounced out to a 6-0 lead in the top of the first inning with Hannah Thompson getting the scoring started with a two-run single up the middle.
- Emory & Henry scored twice in the bottom of the frame to make it 6-2 with freshman left fielder Anna Thomas (Climax, N.C.) hitting a RBI single up the middle.
- In the third, AU added two more runs to push the margin to 8-2. Elena Lewis' pinch-hit single resulted in a pair of scores.
- The Wasps began their comeback in the bottom of the fourth with a pair of infield RBI singles by sophomore first baseman Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) and Thomas.
- Single runs in both the fifth and sixth closed the gap to 8-6 and Thomas drove in another run with her base hit in the seventh but E&H stranded 11 runners in the game and came up short, 8-7.
- Thompson earned the win in relief, pitching the final 3.1 innings. She allowed three runs on seven hit with four strikeouts.
- E&H junior Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing four earned runs on five hits. Sophomore Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) struck out eight in relief.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 4, Averett 1
- Emory & Henry opened the scoring in the bottom of the first on a single through the right side by Thomas, driving in Varner.
- Averett tied things up in the third on a solo home run by Kaitlyn Aherron.
- In the sixth, the Wasps pushed three across to make the final score 4-1. Senior right fielder Rachel Smoot (Riner, Va.) hit into a fielder's choice with all hands safe, driving in senior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) and a throwing error by the second baseman allowed another run to score.
- Later in the frame, Smoot worked her way out of a rundown situation for a score after forcing a throwing error.
- Sophomore Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win, allowing one run on three hits while striking out five.
- Taylor Bailey took the loss for AU, allowing four runs on six hits with three strikeouts in five-plus innings pitched.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Atlanta, Georgia to play five games over Spring Break on the campus of Emory University.
- The Wasps will get things started on Monday with a single game against the University of Rochester (N.Y.) at noon.