UPDATE: On Friday, April 5, tournament, league and umpiring officials confirmed that Emory & Henry's game with Wilson College, scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m., but which was not played was a 7-0 forfeit in favor of E&H.
SALEM, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (4-5) got a pair of games in at the Mountain Mash, hosted by Virginia Wesleyan University and Roanoke College Saturday at the James I. Moyer Sports Complex. The Wasps fell by a 12-4 score to Kean University in the first game of the day, but responded to take an 11-1 "run-rule" victory over Frostburg State University.
The Wasps' third game of the day against Wilson College was cancelled due to transportation issues with the Phoenix.
GAME ONE – Kean 12, Emory & Henry 4
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 11, Frostburg State 1 (six innings)
GAME THREE – Emory & Henry 7, Wilson 0 (forfeit by Wilson)
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – James I. Moyer Sports Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry 4-5 (0-0 ODAC)
Game One – Kean 12, Emory & Henry 4
- After a scoreless first inning, Kean got on the board on a squeeze play by Tatiana Yourstone in the second. The Cougars made it 3-0 in the third highlighted by a Julie Raba double.
- Emory & Henry tied things up in the bottom half of the third in a four-hit inning. Senior catcher Amanda Whitlow (Riner, Va.) and senior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) each had run-scoring singles in the frame.
- KU responded with three-runs in both the fourth and fifth to push the lead to 9-3. Caroline Ratti put up back-to-back RBI singles, driving in two in both frames.
- The Cougars pushed the margin to 12-3 midway through the seventh but the Wasps manufactured a run in their last at bats as sophomore first baseman Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) drove in freshman Hailey Mince (Trinity, N.C.) with a double.
Taryn DiGiacomo earned the complete-game win, scattering two earned runs on six hits with two strikeouts.
- E&H sophomore Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) suffered the loss, allowing six runs on four hits and two strikeouts in 1.2 innings of relief work.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 11, Frostburg State 1 (six innings)
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first thanks to a two-run single by junior catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.).
- The Wasps made it 6-0 midway through the game with a pair of runs in the third and fourth.
- Frostburg State got on the board in the bottom of the fourth on a triple by Carly Wirth, making the score 6-1.
- E&H scored twice more in the fifth and added three runs on a bases-clearing double by junior shortstop Leanna Toler (Abingdon, Va.) in the sixth for the 11-1 final.
- Sophomore Alex Braun (Cornelius, N.C.) earned the complete-game win, striking out nine while allowing just two hits and three walks.
- Taylor McCarty took the loss for the Bobcats, allowing 11 runs on 12 hits with four walks.
- Emory & Henry will play its home opener on Tuesday as it hosts Bluefield College in an exhibition doubleheader.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Lady Rams is set for 2:00 p.m.